Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Week 10 EOC What I think about the Supreme Court

What is my opinion when it comes to the Supreme Court? I am not quite sure I have a firm stance on way or the other. It is probably more honest to say I have mixed opinions about the Supreme Court. First of all, I don’t think the genders, races, sexes, or creeds of America are truly represented by the nine current Chief Justices. Moreover, I don’t think the Supreme Court has ever honestly been a good representation of the people they pass judgment on. This is a BIG issue. There are not enough women, minorities, or people of different creeds on the court. How can 8 or 9 white men relate to the needs and feelings of African-Americans or Mexican-American? I do not believe they can. Secondly, I do not really know where I personally draw the line on what kinds of cases the Supreme Court should or should not hear. This is a very finicky issue. I feel on certain issues like abortion and the death penalty should be heard by the court. But other issues like the legalization of marijuana and local laws should be decided amongst the state courts. I am no lawyer, so I could be wrong about my opinions on some of these things.
A prime example of the Supreme Court doing something I do not think they should have happened about 8 years ago. They got to choose the United States of America’s next president. I do not feel they have that right to decide something so important. And not only did they get to decide, but they chose the opposite candidate that the majority of the American people had voted for. What part of the game is that? This is exactly why I do not feel the Supreme Court is truly honest and fair. And I definitely do not think they represent the 100 percent goodwill of the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment