Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Week 1 My real feelings about lawyers

I have mixed feelings when it comes to whether or not I like lawyers. There are a few different factors that come into play when deciding if I like a lawyer or not. The first thing I want to know is if he or she is a defense attorney or a prosecutor. This is a big deal to me, and there is a huge difference between the two. If the lawyer is a prosecutor I tend to not like them because I believe that Constitution of the United States was not written “by the people and for the people.” It was written by white people and for white people. Therefore, if someone is working to send even a truly guilty man to prison, or make them pay a fine as a penalty for a crime in this country I do not like that type of lawyer. Maybe one day if we rewrite the laws of this land I will be more willing to like prosecutors.

When it comes to defense attorneys I am a much bigger fan. Obviously for the same reasons I am not too fond of the prosecutor is the exact reason why I like the defense attorney. If you can help a person receive a lighter sentence, or even prevent any penalty being enforced I am all for it. I do have two concerns when it comes to the defense side though. One, I do not like the fact that they charge such expensive prices. I do understand that they are providing a service that is worth a nice amount of money, but many of these lawyers over charge their clients. I despise this. This is the reason many people do not like lawyers because we feel they have many “crooked” ways. The second concern I have is defending guilty people and knowing that the person is guilty. This is another shady part of the justice system. That’s why the more money you have, the better the lawyer is, and it also can mean they are more shady in their dealings.

No comments:

Post a Comment